In a recent blog post I had the opportunity to share my experience as a runDisney participant at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. Hopefully, that post helped to bring a little more awareness to our runDisney community on how the “mecca of youth sports” is turning young athletes into champions. I’ve also been lucky enough to witness this firsthand as my experience with the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex has expanded to include my own little athletes. Whether it’s runDisney Kids Races or fun on the field with Disney Soccer Academy, ESPN Wide World of Sports vacations have added a whole new element of magic to our visits.
Here are some tips for getting your whole family involved in activities at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.
- Select the runDisney race weekend that is right for your family. Then, be sure to sign up for runDisney email notifications so you don’t miss out on your opportunity to register.
- Get the family moving! By utilizing the complimentary training plans offered by the official runDisney Training Consultant, Jeff Galloway, anyone can be ready to run.
- Make it fun! Create family race shirts or run in costumes. By keeping things fun you remove some of the anxiety little ones might feel when participating in an organized race. Need some ideas? Check out the Princesses runDisney and Villains runDisney costume blog series on the runDisney Blog.
ESPN Wide World of Sports:
- Select a sport based on your child’s passion and interest and look for events under the Open Registration tab on the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex website. The events tab is your resource for invitational events, open events, showcase events and much more.
- If your child is already involved at the competitive level, speak with your team manager about qualifying regional events your child’s team may be able to participate in for an opportunity to compete in the middle of the magic.
- Familiarize yourself with Guest Services on the website, and the Welcome Center at the Complex. It’s like having your very own sports concierge! From information on tent policies to helping you book an advanced dining reservation, they cover all the bases.
Lastly, here’s a tip for my fellow moms: Want to visit Walt Disney World® Resort more often? Consider a ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex vacation. There’s something about including sporting activities into a vacation that dads just can’t deny. Let’s call it.... vacationing with purpose.
Do you have a runDisney vacation planning question? Visit me on the Disney Parks Moms Panel and send them my way! For questions about the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex, visit Sue Nowicki, our Disney Parks Moms Panelist representing ESPNWWOS.
Faith is the runDisney specialist on Disney Parks Moms Panel, here to answer your questions and to help you plan your runcation!